TOM SO-YUMMY SOUP
(TOM YUM GOONG)
Serves 4 | GF | DF
- 12 whole green prawns
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1.5L chicken or fish stock
- 2cm galangal, sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 large chilli
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- Juice from 4 limes
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp roasted chilli paste or Siracha
- 8 mushrooms, quartered
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Coriander to serve
- Remove heads from prawns. Peel the shell and devein, keeping the tail intact.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add prawn heads and sauté until bright orange in colour.
- Add stock to the saucepan. Roughly chop galangal, lemongrass, chill and garlic. Add to the stock with kaffir lime leaves. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove stock from stove and pour through a sieve, discarding prawn heads and aromatics. Return strained stock to the saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Add lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar and chilli paste. Season to taste adding more acidity (lime juice), saltiness (fish sauce), sweetness (sugar) or spiciness (chilli paste).
- Add mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and prepared prawns. Allow to poach for 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, ladle a generous amount of soup into each bowl. Top with coriander and enjoy.
Recipe, food styling and photography by Georgia Barnes.