STRAWBERRY + RHUBARB UPSIDE DOWN ALMOND CAKE
serves 8 | Gluten Free | Dairy free | Grain Free
- 1 cup rhubarb, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 4 tbs brown sugar
- 4 free-range eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 150g Australian almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs vanilla bean extract
- To serve: extra almonds, icing sugar and edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 170 C. Grease and line a 9" cake tin.
- Place rhubarb and strawberries in a bowl. Add brown sugar and mix well. Allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a clean dry bowl, beat egg whites into soft peaks using electric beaters. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat until sugar has dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, baking powder and remaining sugar until smooth.
- Using a food processor, blend almonds into a fine meal and fold into egg yolk mixture. Add vinegar and a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
- Gradually fold egg whites into almond mixture to create a smooth, fluffy cake batter.
- Pour macerated rhubarb and strawberries into the bottom of the prepared tin. Gently pour cake batter over the fruit and spread evenly.
- Place cake in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow cake to cool slightly. Place a large serving plate over the top of the tin, and quickly turn the cake upside down onto the plate.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, almonds and edible flowers.
- Serve warm with a hot cuppa, and a cheeky dollop of sour cream if you wish!