pickled beetroot, chevre + WATERcress
SERVES 4 | GLUTEN FREE | GRAIN FREE | VEGETARIAN
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 large beetroot, peeled and sliced
- 3 radish, finely sliced
- 100g chèvre (fresh goats cheese)
- 1 cup watercress
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Combine sugar, vinegar, water, salt, peppercorns and thyme in a small saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to the boil. Remove pickling liquid from the heat and add beetroot. Allow to cool to room temperature, or until beetroot is tender.
- To serve, remove beetroot from liquid and arrange slices on a serving plate. Top with sliced radish and crumbled pieces of chèvre. Dress the plate with watercress, olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
To store pickled beetroot, cover with pickling liquid and keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
Recipe and food styling by Georgia Barnes. Photography by Stacey Hatfield Photography