PANKO + SESAME PRAWNS WITH WASABI JAPANESE MAYO
- 50g panko crumbs
- 30g black sesame seeds
- 10g white sesame seeds
- 12 banana prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 radishes, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 100g enoki mushrooms, ends trimmed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 250ml rice bran oil
- 2 tbsp garlic chives, finely chopped
- Select all
- To prepare the prawns, combine crumbs, black and white sesame seeds and salt and pepper, to taste in a bowl.
- Dust prawns with flour, dip in beaten egg then coat well with crumb mixture. Repeat the process with all of the prawns.
- In a large pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat until it reaches 175C. Gently add 6 prawns to the oil and fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside on paper towel. Repeat with remaining prawns.
- To prepare the vegetables, add grapeseed oil, rice wine vinegar and lemon juice to a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine and season. Add radish, spring onions and mushrooms and toss to coat with the dressing. Set aside.
- To make the mayonnaise, place egg, wasabi, sugar, vinegar and salt in a large tall jug. Using a stick blender, blend ingredients until slightly thickened. Continue to blend while adding oil in thin, slow, stream, until emulsified and light in colour.
- To serve, spread some mayonnaise onto each serving plate. Place three prawns on each plate, add dressed vegetables and garnish with garlic chives.