LEMON + ZUCCHINI CAKE
If I had to name a “go-to” cake, this would be it. Firstly, it’s moist, zesty and absolutely delicious - but the most special thing about it is that it’s suitable for anyone who is dairy or gluten intolerant. Two of my closest girlfriends are coeliac and there is always a smile from ear to ear when I bring this beauty to the table. The syrup is optional and if you’re feeling a little naughty and can have the dairy, a dollop of double cream doesn’t go astray.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 x ¼ cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 & ½ cups almond meal
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium zucchini grated, squeezed to remove water
- Icing sugar
- Edible flowers
Lemon & Mint Syrup
- Juice & Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Line a springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs whites together until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup of caster sugar and salt and whisk until stiff peaks form and sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup caster sugar, lemon zest, almond meal, vinegar, baking powder and zucchini. Mix well until ingredients form a smooth paste.
- Gently fold egg whites into mixture until well combined.
- Pour into lined cake tin and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to make the syrup, add all ingredients to a saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring syrup to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until reduced. Strain.
- Remove cake from the oven and set aside to cool. Cake will sink slightly.
- Dust with icing sugar and arrange edible flowers over the top. Serve with syrup on the side.
- Alternatively, for an extra moist cake, pour syrup over cake while still in the cake tin.
Serve and enjoy!