LEMON + THYME ICE-CREAM SANDWICHES
Who doesn't love an ice-cream sandwich? To say they are a crowd pleaser is an understatement. I was lucky enough to create these beauties for the very lovely Maggie Beer. I truly believe this dessert is the definition of simple and delicious. Uncomplicated and impressive. I make many desserts using lemon and thyme, but I can confidently say this is my favourite.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 whole eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 375 ml cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 60ml water
- 60ml verjuice
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- marigold petals
- thyme flowers
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
For the semifreddo
- Whisk together sugar, eggs and egg yolks until combined. Place over a pan of simmering water and whisk continuously over gentle heat until the mixture becomes thickened and light in colour. Slowly mix through lemon juice and zest. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, fold through whipped cream. Pour into an 18 x 28cm plastic lined tin and transfer to the freezer for 3 hours or until set.
For the biscuits
- Combine all ingredients in an electric mixer to form a soft dough. Spoon 12 tablespoons of mixture onto lined trays and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Once semifreddo has set, remove from freezer and gently remove from the tin. Using a round cookie cutter the size of the biscuits (approximately 7cm) cut out rounds of semifreddo. Transfer back to the freezer until assembly.
For the syrup
Place all ingredients into a saucepan and simmer over medium heat until reduced and syrupy. Strain through a sieve and set aside.
Place a round of semifreddo between 2 biscuits. Repeat with remaining biscuits and semifreddo. Place on serving platter. Drizzle with syrup and garnish with marigold petals and thyme flowers.