LEMON, LIME + BITTERS TART
Brown Sugar Shortcrust Pastry
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 g unsalted butter, cold and chopped
- 3-4 tbsp icy cold water
Lemon, Lime & Bitters Filling
- 100ml lemon juice
- 100ml lime juice
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 4 free range eggs
- 4 free range egg yolks
- 100g butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 100ml dollop cream
- Lemon zest
- Lime zest
- Edible flower petals (optional)
- To make the pastry, grease and line a 23cm springform tart tin.
- Place flour, sugar, salt and butter into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Slowly add the iced water until mixture forms a soft ball of dough.
- Place a large piece of baking paper onto a clean, dry surface. Sprinkle baking paper with a little extra flour. Place dough onto baking paper and roll to 2-3mm thick using a floured rolling pin.
- Carefully turn the sheet of pastry onto the tart tin, pastry side down. Peel away the baking paper. Gently press pastry into the sides of the tart tin. Place tart shell into the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 160 C.
- Remove tart shell from refrigerator. Using a sharp knife, trim excess pastry away from the edge of the tart tin. Using baking paper and pie weights or uncooked grains, place tart shell in the oven to blind bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove tart shell from oven. Carefully remove baking paper and weights and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until base of tart shell is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make the filling, place lemon juice, lime juice, sugar, corn flour, eggs and egg yolks into a saucepan and whisk together well.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and continue to whisk until the mixture reaches boiling point and has thickened.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Strain hot filling through a fine sieve into a bowl to remove any lumps.
- Add butter to filling and continue to stir until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Add aromatic bitters and mix well.
- To assemble tart, pour lemon, lime and bitters filling into the cooled tart shell. Place tart in the refrigerator to chill for 1 -2 hours or overnight.
- To serve, carefully remove the tart from the springform tart tin and place onto a serving plate. Sprinkle tart with lemon and lime zest and drizzle with cream. Garnish with edible flower petals. Using a sharp knife, cut tart into even pieces. Best served chilled.