chocolate + blackberry monte carlos
Chocolate Coconut Biscuits
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 100g butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla bean extract
- 200g blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 tbsp blueberry powder (optional)
- 1 tsp organic vanilla bean paste or vanilla bean extract
- 8 fresh blackberries
- Icing sugar
- Edible flower petals (dianthus pictured)
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- To make the biscuits: Place flour, coconut, cocoa, sugar and salt in a bowl and stir to combine. Add melted butter, egg and vanilla and mix well. Place even spoonfuls of mixture onto a lined baking tray and place in the oven to bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a tray.
- Meanwhile, to make the jam: Place blackberries, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until blackberries have released their juices. Add a splash of water if the jam is catching on the bottom of the saucepan. Continue cooking until blackberries have broken down and mixture has reduced. Transfer jam to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- To make the blueberry cream: Place cream in a bowl and whisk to form soft peaks. Add blueberry powder and vanilla. Stir until just combined.
- To construct the monte carlos: Spread a small amount of jam on half of the cooled biscuits. Top with a dollop of blueberry cream. Sandwich the filling with the remaining biscuits. Garnish by securing a blackberry to the top of the Monte Carlo with a small amount of cream. Add an edible flower petal and a dusting of icing sugar. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe, food styling and photography by Georgia Barnes.