chocolate cake, whipped ganache + blackberries
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1/2 cup grapeseed or rice bran oil
- 1 tbs pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup boiling water
- 250g Cadbury Dark Milk chocolate
- 250ml thickened cream
- 200g fresh or frozen blackberries
- Edible viola flowers, pansies and snapdragons to decorate
To make the cake -
- Preheat oven to 170c. Grease and line 2 x 6 inch cake tins.
- Sift flour, cocoa, sugars, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Pour mixture into dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Add boiling water and combine well.
- Divide cake mixture into prepared tins and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
To make the ganache -
- Finely chop dark milk chocolate into small pieces or blitz in a food processor and transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Heat cream over medium heat until just simmering. Pour hot cream over chocolate and mix well to combine. Set ganache aside to cool completely.
- Using electric beaters or a stand mixer, whip cooled ganache until light and fluffy.
To assemble -
- Level each cake using a serrated knife.
- Evenly spread 1/3 of the whipped ganache over cake 1 and top with 1/3 of the blackberries. Carefully place cake 2 on top of ganache and blackberries, gently pushing down to secure.
- Using a palette knife or spatula, evenly spread remaining ganache to cover the top and sides of the cake.
- To serve, top with remaining blackberries and edible flowers. Enjoy!
- The chocolate cakes can be made the day before. Once cooled, wrap tightly with glad wrap and aluminium foil and store at room temperature until you're ready to assemble.
- Store finished cake in the fridge.
- To make a DAIRY FREE alternative, replace milk with coconut milk, cream with coconut cream and chocolate with a dairy-free dark chocolate.