cheese fondue party platter
What happens when you cross a cheese platter and a fondue party? You get my fondue party platter! All the essentials of a cheese board combined with the quirk of a retro gathering to create the ultimate crowd pleaser. This is really, really simple to do, but boy, does it generate the wow-factor. No need for crackers or knives, just pick and dip! Inspired by my trip to the Netherlands, I've used Gouda for it's golden, melty characteristics and versatile flavour profile, and thrown a little Dutch mustard in there too! I also recommend experimenting with different flavoured cheeses - why not try Frico's Maasdam or twist it up with some spice by using Frico Gouda Cumin. Prepare in advance or serve immediately - either way, I can guarantee this pot of gold will not last long!
For the fondue:
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup full cream milk
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp good-quality wholegrain mustard
- 220g Frico Gouda cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
For the platter:
- 300g fresh fruit (figs, grapes, apple, pear and cherry tomatoes)
- 200g fresh vegetables (asparagus, broccolini, celery, radish, mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup cornichons
- 1/4 cup pickled onions
- 1 cup sourdough bread, cubed
- 1 small chorizo, sliced
- 100g prosciutto, sliced
You will need:
- Small ovenproof dish
- Disposable skewers
- Large serving board
- To make the fondue, place a small saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and garlic and sauté gently. Add wine and bring to the boil.
- Whisking constantly, add cornflour and stir until thickened. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a simmer. Add mustard and cheese and remove from heat. Stir until cheese has melted and consistency is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place ovenproof dish in the centre of the board and randomly arrange remaining ingredients. Pour cheese fondue into dish, add skewers and serve while fondue is warm. Enjoy!
To prepare in advance: Arrange ingredients on large board, cover and store in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 160C and reheat fondue for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through. Stir and transfer to serving board.
Thanks to my friends at Frico Australia for the delicious Dutch cheese.