BITTER CHOCOLATE & ROSE WATER MUD CAKES
GLUTEN FREE | GRAIN FREE | REFINED SUGAR FREE |
- 90g 85% dark chocolate, good quality
- 60g butter
- 2 organic free-range eggs
- 1 tbs fair trade organic vanilla essence
- 100g almond meal
- 70g rapadura sugar*
- 25g cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- 2-3 tsp rose water
- 100g fresh raspberries
- Edible rose petals
- Preheat oven to 160oC. Lightly grease a muffin tray.
- Gently stir chocolate and butter together over a double boiler until combined well and just melted, being careful not to seize the chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs using electric beaters for 5-10 minutes until thick and fluffy. Fold through vanilla and cooled chocolate and butter.
- Combine almond meal, rapadura sugar, cacao powder, baking powder and salt. Gently fold into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Add rose water to taste and mix well.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tray. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the top of each cake is firm. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing.
- Arrange raspberries and rose petals on top of cakes. Serve and enjoy!
- Rapadura sugar is an unrefined sugar that is made from evaporated sugar cane juice. It’s a great alternative to heavily processed white and brown sugar and has a delicious caramel flavour.
- Not all rose petals are edible as many are sprayed with harmful pesticides and chemicals.