Spelt baked doughnuts - MYO Rainbow
For the doughnuts
- 1 1/4 plain spelt flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 salt flakes
- 2 free-range eggs
- 3/4 cups full cream milk
- 1 tbs butter
- Extra butter for greasing
For the royal icing
- 2 free-range egg whites
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 170 C. Grease a 6 hole doughnut tray with butter.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs, milk and butter. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour egg mixture into flour. Whisk until consistency is smooth.
- Separate batter into 3 bowls. Add beetroot powder and blueberries to one. Matcha powder and poppy seeds to the other, and turmeric and mixed spice to the third.
- Fill 2 doughnut moulds with each flavoured batter. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until doughnuts have risen and are cooked all the way through. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from tray.
- Carefully remove doughnuts from moulds and turn over to reveal smooth side.
- To make the royal icing, whisk together egg whites, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl. Add sifted icing sugar and stir into a smooth paste. Carefully place smooth side of each doughnut into icing. Gently rotate doughnut and remove from icing and transfer to a cooling rack to set.
Beetroot and Blueberry
- For the doughnuts: Add 6 tsp of beetroot powder to spelt flour mixture.
- Fold 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries into doughnut batter.
- For the icing: Add 3 tsp of beetroot powder to icing sugar when sifting.
- To decorate: Top doughnuts with additional blueberries and edible purple violas.
Green Tea and Kiwi
- For the doughnuts: Add 3 tsp of matcha powder to spelt flour mixture. Fold through 1 tbs of poppy seeds.
- For the icing: Add 2 tsp of matcha powder to icing sugar when sifting.
- To decorate: Add 1 slice of fresh kiwi fruit, a sprinkle of poppy seeds and mint leaves.
Turmeric and Pineapple
- For the doughnuts: Add 3 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of mixed spice to spelt flour mixture.
- For the icing: Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder to icing sugar when sifting. Replace egg whites with 3 tsp of pineapple juice.
- To decorate: Top with dried pineapple flowers and yellow edible violas.
Dark Chocolate and Raspberry
- For the doughnuts: Fold 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries and 1 tbs vanilla bean paste into doughnut batter.
- For the icing: Melt 200g of dark chocolate and follow icing instructions as above.
- To decorate: Top with fresh raspberries and edible red dianthus petals.